Individuals should be free to make choices for themselves and to accept responsibility for the consequences of the choices they make. No individual, group, or government may initiate force against any other individual, group, or government. Our support of an individual’s right to make choices in life does not mean that we necessarily approve or disapprove of those choices.
Police are no longer protecting rights of civilians; they are protecting people from making any decision in their life not deemed “safe” or “prudent” by the government. This explains why the government enforcement arm is getting more militarized, more aggressive and involved in issues not limited to protecting the rights of the individual.
Libertarians are committed to restoring and protecting civil liberties. We will:
- Protect freedom of religion, speech, press, and assembly.
- Reverse the militarization of law-enforcement agencies.
- Reform asset-forfeiture laws.
- Restore Fourth Amendment rights against unreasonable searches and seizures.
- Restore voting and gun rights for those convicted of non-violent drug offenses.
- Fight against federal overreach and government spying programs.
- Restrict law-enforcement use of general surveillance technologies.
- Protect internet freedom & privacy.
We believe an important part of restoring civil liberties is ending the drug war. Voluntary treatment vs. mandatory incarceration is a winning strategy.